The condition of your gas furnace in Johnstown, Co can have a direct impact on your home’s energy cost and the health of your family. Although your HVAC professional can give you the best analysis of your system’s performance, you can still estimate its condition by inspecting it periodically, to determine if your heater is running properly.
IS YOUR HEATER IS RUNNING PROPERLY
1. Quiet. Some furnace noises are created during normal operation. Pings, pops, rumbles, and screeches are not sounds that you’d hear from a furnace that’s running as well as it should. Any of these sounds may indicate it’s time to have a professional tend to your system.
2. Odorless. After sitting for a long period without running, you may notice slight burning dust or dirt smell during your furnace’s first few cycles. Any other odor can signal trouble, especially if you smell gas, burning rubber, or plastic. If you smell natural gas, leave your home immediately and walk away from your home before calling 911 or your gas provider. Turn your furnace off immediately if you smell burning odors other than dust and call your HVAC provider for immediate service.
3. In good condition. Your gas furnace should show no signs of wear, rust, soot, or dirt deposits. When your furnace runs, the color of the flame inside the burner should be blue. If your gas burns yellow, this may indicate it’s not getting enough oxygen and is creating carbon monoxide.
4. Clean. Checking your filter monthly and changing it when it’s dirty will prolong the life of your system and keep energy bills lower.
5. Operating efficiently. Locate the specified temperature rise for your furnace on a plate inside the blower and test the temperature rise by placing an instant-read thermometer in the register closest to the blower compartment. It should be close to what the manufacturer specified. If not, contact your HVAC professional.
To learn more about the condition of your gas furnace, contact the pros at Ideal Comfort HVAC (970) 238-3788 We’ve been providing trusted HVAC services for Johnstown, Colorado.
CONTACT FORM / REQUEST FREE ESTIMATE
Please do not use this form for Emergencies. If it is an emergency, please call (970) 238-3788